Our organizer of Ally Relationships, Jenny, talked to the Community UU of Brighton congregation this morning about confronting the systems of power that oppress in reproductive justice spaces and shifting the movement power to those most impacted: women of color and their issues + solutions.
Here are more resources on building a movement that centers compassion and equity.
- Share the story of this incarcerated Black mother facing birth in prison, as told by Black Lives Matter Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors.
- Contribute to her freedom campaign and sign up to get involved.
Restoring Reproductive Health Care Access
- SisterSong calls us to move the conversation away from merely choice when it comes to abortion care, and to also consider access. Without access, there is no choice. The Progressive Women’s Caucus introduced a package of bills to restore reproductive health care access, rolling back laws that closed down clinics with medically unnecessary regulations or drove up costs for those that stay in business.
- Since June, and these bills have received no committee hearings. Call on the Committee Chairs where those bills sit, Rep. Hank Vaupal and Rep. Lana Theis to hold hearings on the Restoring Reproductive Health Care Access bill package.
Join Accomplice Academy
- If you’re interested in more civic engagement, Mothering Justice is launching three fellowships as we head into a very important midterm election.
- For white women interesting in organizing in multi-racial coalitions on issues like reproductive justice, Accomplice Academy will train on following the lead of women of color for co-liberation. We’re collaborating with Confront White Womanhood, Allies for Change, and 482forward to take a deeper look at multi-racial relationship building and issue and strategy training for voter engagement in coalition with women of color.